Stance

The stance of the human (on ham and eggs) varies greatly from the rest of the diner.

Stance is defined as someone’s attitude towards a subject. It’s essentially a synonym for opinion, but it’s a bit more complicated when used as a rhetorical element. I understood it very well before, and my understanding has not evolved much. However, the way I view the importance of stance was changed by this course. Before, I believed that the best writing would always persuade a group of people toward the author’s stance. However, I discovered equally effective means of communicating without using stance at all. For example, I did not know about informative reviews before I took this course. An informative review is an opinionated (meaning “no stance at all”) paper that gives objective information on a subject, and I realized that if you’re trying to educate people, it’s best sometimes to let them do it themselves. I now understand the importance of restraint in including one’s own stance in their writing.